Saturday, July 17, 2010

Viva Las Vegas.

Just extended my stay till Sunday making it a whole month inside my loved one. Like 2 star crossed lovers changing flights/travel plans it’s just delaying the inevitable departure. I’ve always found it difficult to say goodbye to the things I love and I know the goodbye just becomes harder. Honestly it’s because I know in all probability there’s a good chance I won’t see her again for a long time; a 43 year old man single & jobless doesn’t work for Vegas, she needs a little more prospects.

Vegas has been good to me this year, met up with all my friends, made new ones, won money, played golf, ate ridiculously well but to top all of that I got to play the main event for the first time, a truly special moment for me. I got to day 4 of the thing and will do an old fashioned monster blog on it all when I return to Ireland; I need time to put the memories into words.

I think staying at the Bellagio was the first lucky break I had. I used the $20 technique at check in and was rewarded with a view everyday that reminds me how lucky I am. For the last few years companies have paid for my Vegas accommodation and I’ve always demanded the Wynn, (it’s the best hotel Vegas has ((until this http://www.mandarinoriental.com/lasvegas/images/molas_ebook.pdf))

And catered nicely for the Spillane luxury check list). The Bellagio though is a different beast and was the original Wynn (link to Vegas heartbeat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wynn_(entrepreneur) ) done on a massive scale. I had a great day today checking out City Centre and PH, Vegas never stops exciting me, but the Bellagio has it all, the best Steak house, the best noodle house, a great sushi place, great swimming pools, ­­­wonderful spa fantastic staff and a busy poker room. The view from my room is a Vegas spectacular, the fountain show with the Eiffel tower lit up behind the sprays, who would in there right mind would want to leave this.

So many highlight’s during the trip. Jules and Kez got married, wonderful stuff for two special people I cherish dearly. Tristan got his moment (wsop blog) after weeks of Vegas pain and then I got to see him beam with pleasure in a truly special poker moment. I sent him giddy outdrawing him at backgammon and beating him at golf over the trip and that combined with his poker form led to a few ‘silent moments’ but there’s no better guy to be with than Tris when he’s on form and to be there when he got a shot was fantastic fun. Watching Marty on the golf course is worth the entrance fee trust me; yesterday I saw him hit 3 balls into water and three times they came out, he actually complained once when another didn’t return from the water. It was the near the end of his honeymoon and he was off for a last night of romance with the lovely Karen, he beamed more than Tristan. Badbeat got a nice result both on and off the poker table. Nicky and I never got the rematches we all wanted but he shared the day of my ‘golf moment’ of the holiday and then we kicked onto UFC, awesome scenes. Young Corbett was over and on sparkling form including winning a seat in the main event for someone else. I hope my wsop blog convinces him never to win a seat for anyone else but himself.

Meeting Camel later to enjoy some late night banter, beers, betting, open golf and gossip; like I say only a fool would want to leave this town.