Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's Win Wynn


Played the Wynn course twice and made par on this hole both times. Think the big stage suits me.

I've never licked Dom Pérignon Rosé Vintage 1959 from Kelly Brooks thighs but I can imagine it would be a very similar feeling to the one I got as I was about to tee off on the first at the Wynn Golf course. I have been lucky enough over the last few years to play some of the best courses in the world and this one ranks right up there for me. To create this spectacular Augusta like course in the middle of the desert and then have it sitting empty most of the day could only happen in Las Vegas (or perhaps Dubai), another glorious example of excess. The reason it’s empty is due to the price (it’s cheaper to buy that bottle of Dom P and hire Kelly Brooke for the night) but when you’ve had a little touch as I did on my first day here in town, its only right to treat oneself.

When I was first started coming here regularly I couldn’t find anyone interested in playing a game of golf, “it’s too hot, I’m in a tournament, I’ can’t be arsed”, these days the opponents are flying in specifically for the golf and the fact the world series of poker is on just seems like an additional bonus. Of course being in Vegas, surrounded by poker players playing golf can only lead to one thing, arguing for hours about your handicap and then betting on your swing and nerve. I’ve only once before played a game for more money than I could afford to lose and I choked more than a fluffer at an Annabel Chong world record; luckily for me my opponent was a bigger bottler. In the coming days I will be stepping up to the tee box in a heavily wagered golf match (against one John O’Shea), a game arranged a year ago after plenty of banter and even more cocktails. Contrary to popular rumour I didn’t leave my job as it was interfering with my practise but the stakes are high for me and I’m revelling in the challenge. I love prop bets and whatever the outcome I’m certain this will lead to a few new ones for next year.

As well as John I have a rematch with usual foe Tristan. Rory Brown & partner seem to be running scared. The big one is the team match of me and Julian v Marty and Nicky. Last year’s matches saw everything bar punches exchanged at a variety of courses with us Brits humbling our Irish opponents by overcoming their mind games and dubious interpretation of rules & ethics that would make Thierry Henry blush etc. with a glorious display of flawless golf performed with immaculate sporting manners and I’m sure everyone is hoping for the same result this year.

Many pots have been simmering and now it’s steam time. Being in Vegas with the U.S.A. qualifying and us scrapping over the line only to find our next opponents Germany. Will be mind blowing being here in the heart of one of the things I most love about Vegas, her blood line. There is not a place on the planet that has so many diversities mixed up together in any one hour and now they all love football. I was in the Bellagio sports book for one of the greatest superbowls ever http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXIV and it’s a proper buzz knowing Sunday has the potential to top that.