Monday, July 05, 2010

Lesnar v Carwin


Our man on the right.

Been having a winning trip so decided to have an old fashioned Vegas blow out Saturday night.

I have heard about UFC from a variety of friends but hadn’t paid much attention to it as I’m a boxing fan. It’s a combination of various fight styles, I found out the only thing they can’t do is head butt each other (well not on or behind the head but in the face is fine). On Saturday Las Vegas hosted the world heavy weight title at the MGM Garden arena and it was time to pay my first visit. Julian fresh from winning 95k said leave getting the tickets to him. 2 hours later 2 ringside tickets at a blood curdling $1,000 each arrived and we were off to the races. We met up with a few of the lads in a room they had booked at the MGM and let the party begin. Too really get a buzz we both decided to have a bet on the fight to try and win the price of the night out and tickets, the only problem was who to bet, the challenger was unbeaten, both fighters didn’t go more than one round historically. I was happy to toss a coin but after some discussions I followed Jules in on betting Brock Lesnar, the defending champ.

Early beers consumed we took our most excellent seats for one of the warm up bouts and I was about to find out why so many people follow UFC. The gloves have very small padding, unlike boxing where it often will take a multitude of punches to win; in UFC getting hit by basically a fist in the face has a very different effect which results in blood and unconsciousness, I loved it. This must be the closest thing humans now have to the good ole days of throwing innocents to the lions & gladiators in the coliseum for the entertainment of the public. We could hear every punch landing, watch the arc’s of blood spurting without getting covered in it whilst consuming more beers.

I was already fully revved up by the time the main event started. When the challenger Carwin entered the ring I was starting to think I wished I’d backed him; that was until our man entered the ring. When he took of his ‘death clutch’ tee-shirt I wanted to run to the sports book and have more money on; luckily I didn’t, in the first round Carwin got our man to the ground and proceeded to pummel the shite out of him. As neither man had gone over a round we sat in silence and preyed for the bell which duly arrived. Round 2 was the last round of the fight, our man got Carwin to the floor and the fan sat next to me claimed its all over. I had no clue what he was on about but then our man followed up on his tee-shirt promise and we were screaming with delight when Carwin submitted. The rest of the night is a bit of a blur and I woke up feeling I had been caught in a Lesnar death clutch myself.